Fortresses, Palaces & Churches
The Military Governor’s Palace in Maó is not open to the public nor, normally, for organised group visits. However, members of the Menorca Britannia Association were privileged to be granted a tour of the Palace.
Also known as the Ca’s General and Isabel II Palace (being located in the street of the same name), the palace is still the official residence of the Military Governor of the island, currently Colonel Francisco Rivas Mayor. The palace started as a small fortress in the Middle Ages, known as the Casa del Rey or King’s House, built to defend the north-west corner of the walled precinct. It was used as accommodation for the island’s governors on their visits to Maó from Ciutadella, then the capital of Menorca.
La Mola, Mahon
The Fortress of Isabel 11, located in one of the most beautiful settings on Mahon harbour, was built between 1848 and 1875 after a lot of pressure by the British who were threatening to return to Menorca to use it as a base in their defensive operations against the French.
Before the Fortress was finished it became outdated as artillery technology evolved and as a result the Island’s defense system had to be reconsidered. However, it remains one of the best examples of late 19th century military architecture.
Guided tours are available lasting approx 2 1/2 hours as well as pre-arranged visits.
May to September, every day from 10.00 to 21.00 hours
October, every day from 10.00 to 18.00 hours
November to April, Tuesday to Sunday from 10.00 to 14.00 hours
Contact details – Tel: 971 36 40 40 Mobile: 686 659 400
The interior is of neogothic style but of great note is the monumental organ that has great instrumental and artistic quality. It was commissioned in 1806 by the rector Gabriel Alenyar from the masters Franciso Otter and Joan Kiburz who lived in Barcelona.
It took three years to make and when it was ready there were problems with its transportation not only due to the fact that the Napoleonic war was on but also due to its immense size. It has four keyboards, 3006 organ pipes – 197 of which are wooden and the rest are metal.
Page 1 of 2