Castillo de San Felip, Mahon Harbour
Menorca’s position in the Mediterranean and the fact that Mahon harbour could safely hold a large fleet in winter meant that the Island was constantly fought over. In 1554, the San Felip castle was constructed, on the southern shore of the harbour in Es Castell. It took 60 years to complete. Following the Spanish Succession War and under British rule, a huge extension took place and the castle became the biggest fortress in Europe.
When Carlos 111 recovered the Island, after more than half a century in British hands, he ordered the demolition of the castle between 1782 –1785. In 1798 the British once again managed to conquer Menorca and tried to rebuild the castle but didn’t have time as four years later Menorca was back under Spanish rule.
The Castillo de San Fellip is not just an old fortress, but an important witness to nearly two and a half centuries of unsettled history including three British occupations, one French and one Spanish occupation.
Entertainment evenings take place, transporting you to the past with actors in period costumes recreating the sights and sounds of a fortress under siege. There are guided tours around this site on Saturdays at 10.00.
Contact details – Tel: 971 36 21 00
Fort Malborough, Es Castell
Situated on the south side of the mouth of Port Mahon in Cala Sant Esteve, Fort Malborough was built during the second British occupation between 1710 and 1726. Its function was to protect the port entrance. Almost invisible from sea level, nearly all the buildings were excavated in the rocky subsoil.
Visitors enter the fort via a tunnel and can explore the underground galleries and rooms excavated from the rock, the dry moat and the upper enclosure from where there are superb views of Mahon harbour. Guided tours normally last 45 minutes.
Located at Cala de Sant Esteve in Es Castell
Open end April to mid October:
Tuesday to Saturday: from 10.00 to 13.00 and 17.00 to 20.00
Sunday: from 10.00 to 13.00 (closed Mondays and Public Holidays)