Cap d’Artrutx (near Ciutadella)
The Cap d’Artrutx lighthouse stands 34m (111 ft) high on the Cap d’Artrutx cape on the south-western corner of the island and provides vital guidance to boats and ships rounding this precarious point of Menorca at night. It also acts as a important guide to craft heading in and out of the nearby marina at Calan Bosch.
The lighthouse, built in 1859 and substantially modified in 1970, is active with a focal plane of 45 m (148 ft) projecting three white flashes every 10 seconds.
Featuring a round concrete tower with four ribs, lantern, and double gallery, the lighthouse is painted with black and white horizontal bands and the lantern is gray metallic. The tower was doubled in height in 1970 when the double gallery was built and the four buttresses were added to help support it.
Cap d’Artrutx is located at the most south western point of the island about 9 km south of Ciutadella where although the land is quite low, the coastline is dramatic with steep cliffs dropping into the sea. The lighthouse is at the end of Plaça Far.
Stop Press: The imposing lighthouse building has recently opened as a restaurant with outdoor terrace eating, sympathetically restored dining room and wonderful sea views. See article in ‘Restaurant Reviews’.
Punta Nati (Ciutadella)
Built in 1911, this lighthouse has an octagonal masonry tower of unpainted stone with gray metallic lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a one-storey U-shaped masonry keeper’s house.
The lighthouse is active with a focal plane of 42 m (138 ft) projecting four white flashes in a 3 plus 1 pattern every 20 seconds.
This lighthouse stands 19m (62ft) high on the wild and barren north west coast of Menorca and although it can be accessed by car at the end of a minor road north of Ciutadella, it is not often visited. Site open but tower closed.
Faro de Cavalleria (Cavalleria)
This active lighthouse, built in 1857, has a round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a one-storey masonry keeper’s house. Standing approx 15m (49 ft) high with a focal plane of 94m (308 ft) projecting two white flashes every 10 seconds, this lighthouse is painted all white with a gray metallic lantern.
The Cap de Cavalleria is a narrow, rocky spine that projects from the north coast of Menorca, forming a very dangerous obstacle for ships. Despite its remoteness, the site is accessible by road and is often visited for the spectacular view. Site open but tower closed.
Far de Favaritx (Es Grau)
This lighthouse stands at the end of Cap Favaritx on the north east coast of Menorca which is part of the Parque Natural de s’Albufera des Grau (Natural Park of Es Grau and s’Albufera Island Colom). Dramatic and isolate, the area is great for those wanting seclusion, a break from the beach or are interested in bird watching.
Built in 1916 and approx 28m (92 ft) high, Favaritx is active with a focal plane of 47 m (154 ft) projecting three white flashes, in a 1 plus 2 pattern, every 15 seconds.
Featuring a round masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, rising from one end of a two-storey masonry keeper’s house, the lighthouse is painted with black and white spiral bands and the lantern is gray metallic.
Cap Favàritx is a sharp headland projecting from the north eastern coast, accessible by road which becomes a dirt track with car parking at the end. Site open but tower closed.
Illa de S’Aire (Punta Prima)
Built in 1860 and standing 38 m (125 ft) high, the Illa de S’Aire lighthouse is active with a focal plane of 53m (174 ft) projecting a white flash every 5 seconds. The lighthouse features a round masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, rising from a one-storey keeper’s house and is painted with black and white horizontal bands and the lantern is gray metallic.
The tower was reconstructed and the double galleries added in 1965. The Illa de S’Aire is a low, rather flat island, about 1.2 km long, located off the south eastern tip of Menorca opposite Punta Prima beach and accessible only by boat. Site open but tower closed.
Punta de Sa Farola (Ciutadella)
Built 1863, Punta de Sa Farolo is an active lighthouse with a round cylindrical masonry tower, lantern and double gallery, rising from a one-story masonry keeper’s house. The lighthouse is painted with black and white vertical stripes and the lantern is gray metallic. In 1979 the tower was increased in height and the double gallery was added.
At 13m (43ft) high, the lighthouse has a focal plane of 21m (69 ft) projecting bright white beams of light five times in a 2 plus 3 pattern every 14 seconds.
Located on the Cami Farola, on the west side of the harbor entrance at Ciutadela at the west end of the island. Site open but tower closed.
Punta de Ne Cafayas (Calas Fonts)
This little lighthouse, located at the popular waterfront area of Calas Fonts at Es Castel, features a small round tower painted red with a white single storey equipment shelter.
Standing at only 7m (23ft) high, it is active with a focal plane of 8m (26 ft) projecting three red flashes every 9 seconds.
The building is located on a peninsula projecting into the harbor on the Paseo de Santa Agueda, Es Castel. Site open but tower closed.
Punta de San Carlos (Mahon Harbour)
The original lighthouse, built in 1852, had a 16 m (52 ft) high masonry tower attached to a keeper’s house but was then replaced by a smaller light in 1971 because it stood in the line of fire of coastal defense artillery.
The tower with gallery rising from a square white equipment room, now stands a metre lower at 15m (49ft), and is active with a focal plane of 22m (72 ft) projecting a bright white beams of light twice every 6 seconds.
Located within the Fort of San Felipe, on a headline on the south side of the entrance to Mahon harbor.