Museums & Lighthouses
Museum of Menorca, Mahon
The Museum of Menorca (Museo de Menorca) is the most important historical establishment on the island. The museum is housed in an old Franciscan monastery built in the baroque style between the end of the 17th century and beginning of the 19th century.
In 1835, the monks vacated the monastery and since then it has housed a secondary school, the public library and an orphanage until it finally became home to the museum. This beautifully restored building, arranged over several floors, is now home to many artifacts discovered on the Island throughout its history and tell the history of Menorca from ancient times to the modern day.
Menorca’s lighthouses are important not only for their unquestionable function to illuminate the coastline around the island, but also for their place in history. Today, their operation has passed from manual care to automation, but one thing that hasn’t changed is their romantic beauty.
The island’s lighthouses are located in particularly striking spots, standing guard over insurmountable limestone cliffs such as Punta Nati and Cap d’Artrutx and red-coloured land such as the Cavalleria lighthouse or crown a mysterious rocky lunar landscape like the Favaritx lighthouse, which is protected under the declaration of Menorca as a Biosphere Reserve. There is also the lighthouse of Illa de l’Aire which is situated on a small island of unquestionable natural beauty opposite Punta Prima beach.
All the lighthouses have their own architectural style and character providing a photography enthusiasts dream as well as the ideal destination for a walk combining peace with nature at its wildest. In addition to the most popular, details of other lesser known lighthouses are listed below.